NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Cardiome Pharma (CRME) leapt in afterhours action on Wednesday after the Canadian drug developer and partner Merck (MRK) received a marketing approval related to an intravenous formulation of their Brinavess brand vernakalant cardiovascular drug in the European Union, Iceland and Norway.
The stock gained 13.1% to $7 on volume of 124,325 in extending trading, according to Nasdaq.com. That advance followed a rise of 2.3% to $6.19 in the regular session.
Year-to-date, Cardiome shares are up nearly 36%, but they've been clipped of late, falling 34% since hitting a 52-week high of $9.36 on August 5.
In a joint statement, Cardiome and Merck said the Brinavess approval was for an IV formulation of the drug to be marketed for "the rapid conversion of recent onset atrial fibrillation to sinus rhythm in adults: for non-surgery patients with AF of seven days or less and for post-cardiac surgery patients with AF of three days or less."A Merck executive said in the press release that the company expects to launch Brinavess in the European Union in the fourth quarter. Doug Janzen, Cardiome's president and CEO, said the launch of Brinavess would provide the company with its first commercial product revenues. Merck and Cardiome formed their collaboration in April 2009. Cardiome reported its second-quarter results on August 11, posting net income of $4.6 million, or 8 cents a share, mainly because of payments related to its collaboration with Merck. Also at that time, Cardiome backed off expectations that the next phase of its clinical program for an oral version of vernakalant would begin this summer, citing discussions with Merck. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV