(Potash-BHP poll updated with latest news on potential Potash suitor Sinochem.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Speculation on what white knight might emerge as a legitimate challenger to BHP Billiton (BHP) for the prize of Potash (POT) has cooled since news of the hostile pursuit broke two weeks ago.
Chinese entities were early favorites, despite the less-than-illustrious history of companies from the People's Republic sealing deals of this enormous scale overseas. Sinochem, the sprawling industrial goliath, was a popular choice -- its Sinofert unit is the nation's largest fertilizer purveyor. In the latest, Sinochem apparently has hired investment-banker advisors at HSBC to help it consider a move, The Wall Street Journal reported late Wednesday. The paper and other media outlets had earlier reported that Chinese private-equity fund Hopu was considering assembling a consortium of investors to make a possible bid.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV