Did Mediacom Reject its Best, Only Offer?
Shares of the company plunged on Tuesday after CEO and founder Rocco Commisso announced that he had withdrawn his proposal to take the company private.
That is, withdrawn after his offer was rejected.
Commisso offered $245 million, or $6 per share, for the stock he doesn't already own. He currently owns about 40% of the company's common stock which represents 87% of the shareholder voting power.A special board committee shot down his offer to purchase the remaining shares of the cable television company and take the company private. Investors apparently don't share the board's optimism about the company's value. Shares of Mediacom plunged 15% to close at $5.80 on Tuesday, wiping out approximately $71 million in value, after Commisso released a press release concerning his rejected proposal. Its volume is usually around 424,000 shares, but on Tuesday its volume was up to 2.6 million shares as investor moved out. "I am very disappointed with the highly unusual process and ground rules established by the special committee and its financial and legal advisors to evaluate my proposal," said Commisso, who founded the company in 1995. "I firmly believe that the special committee's decision is not in the best interests of Mediacom's shareholders." Commisso's $6 per share offering just wasn't enough for the board to accept. "There was big spread between the bid and the ask," said Laura Martin, an analyst at Needham. "What Rocco was proposing and what the committee wanted was too different."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV