StemCells (STEM) shares have failed to close above $1 since June 28, although the stock has seen a recent spike in trading volume after a U.S. District Court injunction that stops an expansion of federal funding for research involving stem cells. The court ruled that research involving stem cells derived from embryos violates a 1996 law that prohibits research where embryos would be destroyed.
Company Profile: StemCells is engaged in the research, development, and commercialization of stem cell therapeutics. The company is based in Palo Alto, Calif., and employees 75 people.
Closing Price: 79.5 cents (Sept. 1)Three-Month Stock Performance: -22.1% Received Nasdaq Notice: Aug. 18 Management's Expected Action: StemCells said in a regulatory filing it has been given until Feb. 8 to regain compliance with the Nasdaq's bid price requirement. StemCells said it "will continue to monitor the closing bid price for its common stock and consider its available options to regain compliance," which it says may include applying for an extension of the compliance period or an appeal to a Nasdaq Listing Qualifications Panel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV