(Solar article updated with additional background and stock price movement.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks in the solar sector heated up Wednesday as the Dow Jones industrial average surged more than 200 points.
Naturally, some solar stocks fared better than others.
Shares of China Tech Development Group (CTDC), a Hong Kong-based manufacturer of solar energy products, led the group higher, gaining 8.2% in afternoon trading.STR Holdings (STRI) followed close behind, rising 7.2%. Suntech Power Holdings (STP) jumped 6.6%, Yingli Green Energy Holding (YGE) 5.2% and LDK Solar (LDK) 4.7%. Last week American depositary receipts of Trina Solar (TSL) were upgraded by several analysts, a day after the Chinese manufacturer of solar photovoltaic products beat earnings expectations and upped its forecast for solar shipment volume. Trina raised its capacity numbers for growth between 40% and 50%, and expects to achieve scale of 1.5 gigawatts by the end of 2011. >> Trina Solar Forecasts Brighter Future
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV