BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks slid last month, with the S&P 500 falling 4.7% as investors loaded up on fixed-income securities. Here are 10 stocks struggling despite exceptionally cheap price-to-earnings ratios. When stocks rebound, these stocks may fare best. The companies are ordered by forward earnings multiple, from cheap to cheapest.
10. Humana (HUM) offers health and supplemental benefit plans. Second-quarter profit increased 21% to $340 million, or $2 a share, as revenue grew 9.5% to $8.7 billion. The operating margin rose from 5.9% to 8.2%. Humana has $8.9 billion of cash and $1.7 billion of debt, equal to a quick ratio of 1.7 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.3. During the past three years, Humana has grown revenue 11% annually, on average, and boosted profit 24% a year.
Its stock trades at a trailing earnings multiple of 7.1, a forward earnings multiple of 8.6, a book value multiple of 1.3, a sales multiple of 0.3 and a cash flow multiple of 3.6 -- 51%, 31%, 48%, 60% and 59% discounts to peer averages. Of analysts covering Humana, 9, or 43%, advise purchasing its shares, 11 recommend holding and one suggests selling them. A median price target of $55.73 suggests a return of 16%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV