9 Biotech Penny Stocks to Buy
By Louis Navellier of InvestorPlace
Penny stock investments in the biotech sector abound right now after the recent market turmoil this summer. Healthcare and biotech penny stocks can be volatile, particularly those drug manufacturers that are not yet profitable and are waiting on an important FDA approval notice. But these stocks can be very good investments if you buy at the right time.
My quantitative screens show that a number of biotech penny stocks -- that is, cheap healthcare companies trading for less than $3 a share -- have big upside potential for September as volume picks up on Wall Street. Here are nine top penny stocks in the biotech sector to consider.
1. Athersys Inc. (ATHX)Market Cap: $49.21 million Athersys (ATHX) is a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery and development of therapeutic products and is developing pharmaceuticals to treat indications such as obesity, certain cognitive and attention disorders, and narcolepsy or other forms of excessive daytime sleepiness. Shares of ATHX have risen significantly in the past year, gaining 157% and both meeting and exceeding analyst estimates so far in 2010.
2. Catalyst Pharmaceutical Partners (CPRX)Market Cap: $20.78 million Catalyst Pharmaceutical Partners (CPRX) is a development-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of prescription drugs targeting central nervous system diseases with a focus on the treatment of addiction and epilepsy. CPRX shares are up 70% year-to-date and growth potential seems promising for this small cap drug maker.
3. Rexahn Pharmaceuticals (RNN)Market Cap: $100.66 million Rexahn Pharmaceuticals (RNN) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company developing and seeking to deliver cures for cancer and disorders of the central nervous system in patients. Rexahn's three clinical stage drug candidates are Archexin, Serdaxin and Zoraxel. With RNN stock up 78% since the start of the year, shareholders may want to keep their eye on this stock and its positive track record for beating EPS estimates.
4. Inhibitex (INHX)Market Cap: 93.2 million Inhibitex (INHX) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of differentiated anti-infective products to prevent and treat serious infections. This small-cap pharma stock is showing some good growth potential with year-to-date performance at +63%. In addition to shares surging this summer, prospective investors should note that INHX has beat earnings estimates for three of the past four quarters.
5. Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals (CYCC)Market Cap: $53.58 million Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals (CYCC) is a development-stage biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery, development and commercialization of mechanism-targeted drugs to treat human cancers and other serious disorders. With shares up 40% since January, CYCC could end up being a bargain at its current price of around $1.45 if it can manage to swing into another uptrend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV