Home Prices: Don't Buy the Hype
Cutts said the Freddie Mac economic team will be "watching carefully" the next two sales reports to "to see whether the July drop was the start of a new trend down or the result of a temporary pull-forward."
Yun pointed out that historically low interest rates have created a housing affordability situation akin to a box of tinder awaiting an economic spark. Job growth can set off the fire.
But if recent data on unemployment and underemployment are any indication, that may take awhile. After all, if the trends in home sales and prices have shown anything, it's that taxpayer funding can provide a temporary burst of energy, but can't sustain sales or price recovery. Between the initial "Making Home Affordable" surge and the most recent one, home prices declined nearly 7% and sales fell nearly 18%.
--Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Lauren Tara LaCapra.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV