NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- From Intel's (INTC) $7.7 billion deal for McAfee (MFE) to Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Dell's (DELL) ongoing bidding war for 3Par (PAR), tech M&A is back with a vengeance. So who's going to be next?
After a tough 2009, companies like IBM (IBM), HP, Dell and Intel now see a window of M&A opportunity, particularly given renewed uncertainty about the broader economy.
"I think that companies get the sense that we're not fully recovered," Brenon Daly, an analyst at The451Group told TheStreet. "Before we get deals knocked off by a double-dip recession or a mellowing in the economy, companies want to get deals pushed through."With growing cash hoards, it's hardly surprising that some of tech's biggest names are driving M&A, according to Bill Soward, CEO of software specialist Adaptive Planning. "There's no question that this cash balance thing is becoming quite a challenge for these big companies," he told TheStreet, explaining that shareholders want to see cash put to good use. "I think that there are
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV