NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Sentiment appears to have turned bullish among sell-side stock analysts who follow the dry-bulk shipping trade.
Iron ore is the reason.
That's because, as widely expected, the benchmark price of seaborne iron ore for the fourth quarter will probably be around 10% less than it was in the third quarter, according to indications from the big three iron ore miners, Vale (VALE), BHP Billiton (BHP) and Rio Tinto (RTP). That means Chinese steelmakers, emboldened by the drop, may have reason to increase their iron ore purchases during the fourth quarter, which in turn will mean a greater need for the enormous ships that move all that ore from Australia to China and from Brazil to China.
As shippers' profit-making prospects rise for the near term, so too will their stocks. At least, that's the theory."We believe the dry bulk shipping market could be set up for a nice surge in both charter activity and spot charter rates in the coming months," Doug Mavrinac, of Jeffries & Co., wrote in a note to clients. Omar Nokta, of Dahlman Rose, says steel prices in China need to strengthen a bit before steelmakers there can fully "take advantage of the seaborne iron ore discount." A rebound in bulk-freight rates would continue an overall strengthening trend in August, which follows a severe collapse in June-July, when rates on the spot market for bulker carriers, especially the iron-ore hauling Capesize vessels, plunged to levels not seen since the financial crisis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV