BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- The weak economic data hitting Wall Street continued to push investors away from risky assets -- such as stocks -- last week, and into safer, less-volatile instruments such as bonds, gold and U.S. government debt. All the while, a handful of cash-rich firms have been taking advantage of depressed equity prices by going on a buying spree.
If Monday's lower market open is any indicator, companies looking for cheap merger and acquisition opportunities won't be disappointed heading into the last few trading days of August.
Investors would do well to use that mentality when approaching this market. While traders are ruling the roost in the short-term, taking advantage of short-term price volatility, there are more than a few emerging opportunities for value investors available right now. We'll attempt to uncover more than a couple of them today with our newest batch of Rocket Stocks plays.
For the uninitiated, Rocket Stocks are our weekly list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. In the last 58 weeks, Rocket Stocks have outperformed the S&P 500 by 62.87%.Here's this week's list of Rocket Stocks to watch.
|More on Stockpickr|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV