BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- The weak economic data hitting Wall Street continued to push investors away from risky assets -- such as stocks -- last week, and into safer, less-volatile instruments such as bonds, gold and U.S. government debt. All the while, a handful of cash-rich firms have been taking advantage of depressed equity prices by going on a buying spree.
If Monday's lower market open is any indicator, companies looking for cheap merger and acquisition opportunities won't be disappointed heading into the last few trading days of August.
Investors would do well to use that mentality when approaching this market. While traders are ruling the roost in the short-term, taking advantage of short-term price volatility, there are more than a few emerging opportunities for value investors available right now. We'll attempt to uncover more than a couple of them today with our newest batch of Rocket Stocks plays.
For the uninitiated, Rocket Stocks are our weekly list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. In the last 58 weeks, Rocket Stocks have outperformed the S&P 500 by 62.87%.Here's this week's list of Rocket Stocks to watch.
|More on Stockpickr|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV