Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA)
Drug/indication: Lorcaserin for obesity
FDA advisory panel: Sept. 16, 2010
Approval decision date: Oct. 22, 2010Recent stock performance: At just under $7, the stock has more than doubled since June due to the signing of a marketing partnership with Eisai and the setback to competitor Vivus. Lorcaserin is one of three obesity drugs currently under review by FDA.
Roche Drug/indication: Avastin for metastatic breast cancer Approval decision date: Sept. 17, 2010 FDA will decide whether or not to revoke Avastin's approval in breast cancer based on phase III data that failed to demonstrate a survival benefit for patients. Roche has argued that Avastin does benefit breast cancer patients despite the lack of prolonged survival, although a recent FDA advisory panel disagreed.
Novartis (NVS) Drug/indication: Gilenia for multiple sclerosis Approval decision date: Sept. 21, 2010 Recent stock performance:Shares are down about 5% for the year. An FDA advisory panel said Gilenia was safe and effective as a treatment for multiple sclerosis, at a meeting on June 10. If approved, Gilenia would be the first multiple sclerosis drug administered as a pill, and as such, the drug could have an impact on already approved, injectable MS drugs from Biogen Idec (BIIB), Teva (TEVA) and Merck-Serono.
Hospira (HSP) Drug/indication: Dyloject for acute moderate-to-severe pain in adults Approval decision date: Oct. 3, 2010 Recent stock performance: At $51, shares are down 15% since hitting a year-high in mid-July. If approved, Dyloject will be the first IV nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) marketed in the U.S. as a single agent for the management of acute moderate-to-severe pain in adults since ketorolac in 1990. The active ingredient in Dyloject is diclofenac sodium, a widely prescribed oral NSAID. Dyloject was developed by Javelin Pharmaceuticals, which Hospira acquired in July.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV