Jim Cramer's Best Blogs
Just a Hated Asset Class
Posted at 3:03 p.m. EDT, Wednesday, Aug. 25
I hear it on the show all the time: What's the matter with this stock or that stock? I read it on Twitter, "Jim, what's the deal with ..." and then a name of a stock. The tone of the queries is, "Why did I buy this? What's the problem?"
Of course, the answer should be obvious, but that's only because I follow so many stocks: Everything is going down, which is why you need the conviction to sit through the pain and buy more, or use oversold rallies like today to lighten up if you can't take the pain.Let's take the case of Cirrus Logic (CRUS), one I am asked about all of the time. Why is it going down? Well, heck, the Nasdaq is going down. Why can't it buck the tide? Nothing can buck the tide unless it has a nice yield with a dividend that can be boosted. "Why do I own it, then?" You don't have to own anything. People are selling like mad. The bull case for CRUS is that it is involved with Apple (AAPL) and it has smart grid exposure. Both trends could last for years, and the company is not a large-cap company yet. The bear case? It is a stock. Stocks are going down. Now, periodically some stock without a dividend can fight its way through the gloom, as Salesforce.com (CRM) did recently. But think about all of the following things that happened to make that work:
- The company had accelerated revenue growth (and I don't know any other tech company that had that).
- The company is the dominant cloud play, where every tech company wants to be. They all want to be CRM. They can't be.
- The new product rollouts are aggressive, and new products drive second legs of tech stocks. Always have; always will.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV