Blockbuster Bankruptcy Weeks Away?
(Blockbuster article updated with analyst commentary.)
Blockbuster and its senior debt holders had a meeting last week with six major movie studios discussing their intention to enter a preplanned bankruptcy, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing sources familiar with the matter.
It would be essential for Blockbuster to retain the support of movie studios amid a bankruptcy filing, in order to ensure receiving new releases and continue business uninterrupted.A preplanned bankruptcy, which the Los Angeles Times said would last about five months, would allow Blockbuster to escape leases at some of its underperforming stores. This could mean the closure of another 500 to 800 locations. The flailing retailer is due to repay $42 million from its mounting $1 billion in debt on Sept. 30, but if this reports proves true, the prepackaged bankruptcy would come as soon as mid-September. Blockbuster had already postponed the payment two times. "The company does not have enough assets to cover its debt, and debt is superior to equity in bankruptcy," says Wedbush analyst Micael Pachter. "This is not a liquidation, so shareholders won't be wiped out, but in the reorganization, it's unlikely that shareholders will get much more than a hope that the company can recover, repay all of its debt, and return to a positive equity value." Eventually, however, Pachter does believe all equity holders will be wiped out. So what should remaining Blockbuster investors do? Given the low chance of Blockbuster recovery, it might be best to cut the loss and get out. But for those who are convinced that Blockbuster has a future, conceivably the company could repay its debt and there could be something left for shareholders, Pachter says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV