The high-end jeweler also upped its full-year outlook, which now partially falls ahead of Wall Street's estimates. This makes Tiffany one of the standouts of the quarter, as the majority of the retail sector posted only so-so results and cautious outlooks.
Tiffany's CEO Michael Kowalski even went so far as to say he is looking to the second-half of the year "with a sense of guarded optimism."
During the second-quarter Tiffany earned $67.7 million, or 53 cents per share, compared with $56.8 million, or 46 cents, in the year-ago period.Revenue jumped 9% to $668.8 million, which was below estimates of $690.2 million. Sales at its New York flagship store grew 8% to $350.4 million. Asia and Pacific revenue climbed 21% to $111.5 million, with the largest growth in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea. Looking ahead, Tiffany expects full-year earnings in the range of $2.60 to $2.65 a share, from its prior guidance of $2.55 to $2.60. Analysts are calling for a profit of $2.61 a share. -- Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV