NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "The economy's not great, the economy's not horrible," Jim Cramer told the viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show Thursday, as he tried to convey what trading in a mixed market is really all about.
Cramer said he really doesn't care what Friday's GDP number brings, nor did he care about the housing numbers from earlier this week. He said he's not surprised by any of the daily economic data that's being released. Why? Because the market is mixed, and that means its darn near impossible to make sense of just about anything.Cramer said the obsession with whether we're entering the dreaded "double- dip" recession is comical, as there's clearly not enough data to know. The markets are trading on every little data point, he said, yet you can make a bull and bear argument for every one of them. Cramer said in retail, some stores like Urban Outfitters (URBN) are doing well, while others, like Guess (GES), aren't. Sectors like aerospace is on fire, he said, while others, like medical equipment, are not. Price earnings multiples are low compared to earnings, but with a lower GDP the multiples seem too high. Sometimes there's nothing actionable to trade on, said Cramer, even though everything may sound like it is.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV