The announcement comes as the competition for Netflix has been heating up.
Hulu, the online site for streaming television and movies, is starting to tap into Netflix's market. Last month the company announced Hulu Plus, a $9.99 per month service that will provide users with streaming content of some of their favorite TV shows, like Glee and Modern Family.
Reports have also surfaced that Hulu could be readying itself for an initial public offering.Verizon (VZ) has also announced that it will offer its FiOS TV subscribers the opportunity to watch live shows on their iPads. Verizon currently allows subscribers to watch on-demand video on mobile devices. Other potential competition includes HBO to Go, ABC's iPad application, Coinstar's (CSTR) expansion of Redbox kiosks and potential move into streaming content, and Comcast's (CMCSA) on-demand library. Netflix is keenly aware of its potential problems, announcing earlier in the month a $1 billion deal with EPIX, a a joint venture between Viacom (VIA), Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and Lions Gate Entertainment (LFG) that could add up to 20,000 new titles to Netflix's streaming content. -- Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV