Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were up by 52 points at 10,099 and were 57 points above fair value. Futures for the S&P 500 were ahead by 7 points at 1061 and were 8 points above fair value, and Nasdaq futures were higher by 11 points and were 12 points above fair value.
Stocks ventured tentatively into positive territory late in Wednesday's session despite another round of weak data as the Department of Commerce reported a 12.4% drop in July new-home sales, a day after a report showed that July existing-home sales fell to the lowest levels in more than a decade.3Par (PAR) reached a revised merger agreement with Dell (DELL) after Dell topped Hewlett-Packard's (HPQ) per-share bid by 30 cents with an offer of $24.30 a share. The Labor Department said the number of people filing for jobless benefits declined by 31,000, to 473,000 in the week ended Aug. 21 after the previous week's upwardly revised level of 504,000. The drop is better than the 485,000 claims that economists had been looking for, according to Briefing.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV