Another way to play a potential stock market crash is to short some of the most popular high-priced momentum stocks. The reason that these stocks make such great shorts during a crash is because so much hot hedge fund money is in these names that when they sell, the declines will come "fast and furious."
Keep in mind that the market won't care about the fundamentals of these stocks if a crash comes. Hedge fund managers will only want one thing, and that is to go to cash and to protect their profits in these stocks. Also, I would anticipate the high-frequency traders to come after many of these names with well-placed computer algorithm sell programs.
Some of the names I would consider are Priceline.com (PCLN), Netflix (NFLX), Apple (AAPL), Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG), Google (GOOG), Goldman Sachs Group (GS), F5 Networks (FFIV), Salesforce.com (CRM), Baidu (BIDU) and Amazon.com (AMZN).
Some other lower-priced momentum names that could see very sharp drops include Akamai Technologies (AKAM), Acme Packet (APKT), Joy Global (JOYG), Bucyrus International (BUCY) and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR).
More on Akamai
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV