Another way to play a potential stock market crash is to short some of the most popular high-priced momentum stocks. The reason that these stocks make such great shorts during a crash is because so much hot hedge fund money is in these names that when they sell, the declines will come "fast and furious."
Keep in mind that the market won't care about the fundamentals of these stocks if a crash comes. Hedge fund managers will only want one thing, and that is to go to cash and to protect their profits in these stocks. Also, I would anticipate the high-frequency traders to come after many of these names with well-placed computer algorithm sell programs.
Some of the names I would consider are Priceline.com (PCLN), Netflix (NFLX), Apple (AAPL), Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG), Google (GOOG), Goldman Sachs Group (GS), F5 Networks (FFIV), Salesforce.com (CRM), Baidu (BIDU) and Amazon.com (AMZN).
Some other lower-priced momentum names that could see very sharp drops include Akamai Technologies (AKAM), Acme Packet (APKT), Joy Global (JOYG), Bucyrus International (BUCY) and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR).
More on Akamai
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV