NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With fears of an impending double-dip recession and another major stock market pullback -- further aggravated by Tuesday's third Hindenburg Omen occurrence in less than a month -- it's no wonder that there's been so much emotion in the market.
The theory is that two Hindenburg Omen occurrences within a 30-day window virtually guarantee a stock market crash. The Omen occurs when an unusually high number of companies in the New York Stock Exchange reach 52-week highs and lows at the same time. The proportion of NYSE stock highs and lows must both exceed 2.5% of the total listed on the exchange.
"Look at the market today -- it's not rational," says Neil Hennessy of Hennessy Funds. "It's just emotional. There's a perception in today's market that every company is losing money and everybody's getting laid off, and that is so far from reality. Companies are making tons -- they're paying them out in dividends and more and more is going to happen as we go forward."
This is especially true of low-end retail and low-end consumer discretionary stocks, according to Hennessy. In an interview with TheStreet, Hennessy said he believes it's hard to go wrong with these types of stocks.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Read on for more of Hennessy's views on low-end retail and low-end consumer discretionary stocks and why he thinks they are worth the investment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV