At the AllThingsDigital conference earlier this summer, Jobs talked about his company's failed attempts at bringing Apple TV to the masses: "The only way that's going to change is if you tear up the set top box, give it a new UI, and get it in front of consumers in a way they're going to want it," Jobs said.
With the Mac iTV, Apple would hope to repeat what it did in phones by ushering in touchscreen controls to replace the existing knobs and buttons that we use to run our TVs.
Apple's jump into hybrid computer TVs would open a key new market for the tech shop, which needs more product hits to keep up the momentum of the iPhone and iPad. But as the history of TV -- from Zenith to Admiral -- has shown, the path is fraught with failures.
--Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Scott Moritz.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV