SEC Charges 2 With Insider Trading On BHP-Potash
WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ Federal regulators have charged two Spanish investors with trading on secret information about BHP Billiton PLC's bid to acquire Potash Corp.
The Securities and Exchange Commission said Tuesday that Juan Jose Fernandez Garcia and Luis Martin Caro Sanchez made illegal profits totaling $1.1 million by betting that Potash's stock price would rise. Garcia was the head of research at Banco Santander SA, which is advising BHP on the deal.
BHP offered last week to pay $130 per share for Potash stock in a hostile attempt to take over the company. The total value of the bid was $38.5 billion.BHP is the world's largest mining company. Potash is the world's largest producer of fertilizer minerals. Garcia and Sanchez spent $61,000 earlier this month on contracts that allowed them to buy Potash stock at a set price, the SEC said. The contracts were about to expire. They would have been worthless unless Potash shares gained value quickly. When BHP announced the bid, Potash shares surged. The traders tried unsuccessfully to move their returns to Spain. Both are residents of Madrid. The SEC brought the charges in federal district court in Illinois. The investments were traded on the Chicago Board Options Exchange.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV