BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Stocks tumbled yesterday as existing U.S. home sales dropped 27%. Here are 10 stocks in industries that typically withstand economic weakness. Although no company is immune to a downturn, food products, defense, tobacco and household products companies are best-suited to weather slow growth. The following stocks receive "buy" ratings from at least 70% of analysts covering their stocks. They are ordered by aggregate rating.
10. Scotts Miracle-Gro (SMG) sells lawn and garden care products. Fiscal third-quarter profit increased 19% to $176 million, or $2.59 a share, as revenue inched up 0.6%. The operating margin rose from 21% to 23%. Scotts has $79 million of cash and $690 million of debt, equaling a quick ratio of 0.8 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.8. Its stock trades at a PEG ratio, a measure of value relative to predicted long-run growth, of 0.3, a 70% discount to estimated fair value. Roughly 70% of analysts rate the stock "buy." A median target of $56.62 suggests a 17% return.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV