NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Weak existing-home sales data and worse-than-expected results from Barnes & Noble (BKS) and Medtronic (MDT) contributed to broad market weakness that is weighing on healthcare ETFs.
Healthcare stocks are trading lower after market leader Medtronic reported a decline in sales in the fiscal first-quarter and lowered its outlook for revenue and earnings for the year through next April. The iShares Dow Jones US Medical Devices (IHI), which has a 13.3% stake in Medtronic, is down 3.3%. Other top holdings in the fund including Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO) and Stryker (SYK) were also weaker. The PowerShares S&P SmallCap Health Care ETF (XLVS) and Health Care Select Sector SPDR (XLV) were declining by 0.9% and 1.8% respectively.
The 27% plunge in existing home sales data led to a selloff in the SPDR KBW Mortgage Finance ETF (KME) shedding 3.8%. The Homebuilder ETFs remarkably remained in the positive territory with the SPDR Homebuilders ETF (XHB) rising 0.4% and the Dow Jones Home Construction (ITB) rising 1.2%.
Prominent among the gainers is the CurrencyShares Japanese Yen Trust (FXY), which is gaining 1.2% as the Yen touched a 15-year high against the dollar.The iShares Silver Trust (SLV) is another notable gainer in Tuesday trading, up 2.4%. --Written by Shanthi Venkataraman in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Venkataraman. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Shanthi Venkataraman. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV