- Maintained robust cash position of EUR 11.4 million (USD 14.0 million) at June 30, 2010
- Raised visibility for positive long-term European experience of Ablatherm®-HIFU with four abstracts presented at American Urological Association (AUA)
- Entering patient follow-up phase after completing enrollment in U.S. ENLIGHT Ablatherm-HIFU clinical trial
- Increasing global sales opportunities with receipt of European approval for Sonolith i-move and Japanese approval for Sonolith i-sys
- Enhancing U.S. lithotripsy market potential with submission of 510(k) marketing clearance application to U.S. FDA for Sonolith i-move
- Strengthening third quarter lithotripsy machine backlog with nine machines in pipeline to date
- Entered exclusive agreement with Lumenis to distribute state-of-the-art urological lasers in France
LYON, France, Aug. 24, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- EDAP TMS SA (Nasdaq:EDAP), the global leader in therapeutic ultrasound, announced today financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2010. The Company outlines strategic initiatives to counter the continuing weak global economic climate.
Marc Oczachowski, EDAP's Chief Executive Officer, commented, "Our second quarter results reflected the overall weak global economic environment and the resulting slowdown in hospital capital expenditures. In the face of these trends, we are undertaking several initiatives to broaden the market opportunities for our medical device portfolio. We are actively pursuing efforts for the clinical recognition of Ablatherm-HIFU for the treatment of localized prostate cancer. During the second quarter, four abstracts that outlined the long-term positive European experience were presented at the American Urological Association (AUA) 2010 Annual Meeting. The data confirmed that EDAP's lifestyle preserving Ablatherm treatment is on par with other more invasive treatment options, such as surgery or radiotherapy. Simultaneously, we are undertaking marketing initiatives to position HIFU as an alternative treatment for prostate cancer patients that did not respond to radiation treatments."
Mr. Oczachowski continued, "Prostate cancer treatment is currently going through a re-definition as the treatment approach transitions from a radical approach to a focal therapy approach that features focused treatment at the identified prostate cancer location. Due to its precision, accuracy and repeatability, EDAP's Ablatherm-HIFU is most advantageously positioned to address the focal therapy approach as it is being defined by the International Urology Community. We believe that the focal therapy approach represents a unique opportunity for Ablatherm HIFU to become the gold standard of treatment for prostate cancer. We at EDAP want to seize this tipping point opportunity and are now putting in place actions and plans to achieve this goal."