1. Palau Introduced to couch-ridden Americans by CBS (CBS) when it filmed Survivor here in 2008, Palau logged exactly one major disaster -- Typhoon Mike in 1990 -- before leaving U.S. trusteeship in 1994. Since then, its position just beyond the Pacific typhoon zone has kept the island chain safe and, with the exception of its acceptance of a handful of prisoners from Guantanamo Bay last year, relatively quiet. Dwindling agriculture, rising seawater and worrisome waste removal efforts are bigger concerns than disasters, but real estate here is scarce and comes at a premium. If you want a taste of disaster-free life in Palau, "homestays" such as a $75-a-night lighthouse rental in Palau's largest city, Koror, provides a tempting, if temporary, taste.
-- Reported by Jason Notte in Boston.
Twitter and get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV