3. RHODE ISLAND Disaster-proof? New England? Seriously. The only reason Rhode Island and its eight disasters since 1953 trump Utah's seven is its location -- which one would wrongly assume is as disaster-prone as those of neighboring Connecticut (14) or Massachusetts (eight). Granted, Rhode Island was just hit with severe flooding this year and twice in the past three years, but it's only declared five major disasters in the past quarter-century. In a region of blizzards, hurricanes and Nor'easters, Rhode Island hasn't been hit by a blizzard since 1996 or a hurricane since 1991. CVS Caremark (CVS) and Textron (TXT) are among the companies who don't mind only using the storm shutters every half-decade or so. For a little bit of everything Rhode Island has to offer, why not settle into a waterfront winery in Little Compton. The $10.5 million, 165-acre property includes 102 acres of vineyard, a 25,000-square-foot winery building and hospitality center, a half-mile gravel driveway lined with sculptures and fountains and a 2,800-square-foot home.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV