3. RHODE ISLAND Disaster-proof? New England? Seriously. The only reason Rhode Island and its eight disasters since 1953 trump Utah's seven is its location -- which one would wrongly assume is as disaster-prone as those of neighboring Connecticut (14) or Massachusetts (eight). Granted, Rhode Island was just hit with severe flooding this year and twice in the past three years, but it's only declared five major disasters in the past quarter-century. In a region of blizzards, hurricanes and Nor'easters, Rhode Island hasn't been hit by a blizzard since 1996 or a hurricane since 1991. CVS Caremark (CVS - Get Report) and Textron (TXT - Get Report) are among the companies who don't mind only using the storm shutters every half-decade or so. For a little bit of everything Rhode Island has to offer, why not settle into a waterfront winery in Little Compton. The $10.5 million, 165-acre property includes 102 acres of vineyard, a 25,000-square-foot winery building and hospitality center, a half-mile gravel driveway lined with sculptures and fountains and a 2,800-square-foot home.
Five Disaster-Proof Real Estate Destinations
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.