4. UTAH The Mormons may have been onto something, as Utah has only declared seven major disasters in 57 years and none within the past five. Of those, the overwhelming majority of Utah's disasters stem from severe storms and ensuing floods, so heading to the high country may be a disaster-conscious newcomer's best bet. Overstock.com (OSTK - Get Report), Omniture (OMTR) and Nature's Sunshine Products (NATR - Get Report) are just some of the companies safely nestled away in Utah, but in a state of less than 3 million people, there's always room for more. In Park City, which is 7,000 feet above sea level and home to three ski resorts and the Sundance Film Festival, a group of 11 luxury homes are going up for auction Friday. The Park City properties range from a three-bedroom, 7,500-square-foot home with vaulted ceilings, five fireplaces and 360-degree views of Herber valley (for a starting price of $1.5 million) to the 15,000-square-foot DeerField Estate with a private gondola for ski-in/ski-out access, indoor swimming pool and a private theater (starting at $15.9 million -- 54% less than its $29 million asking price last year).
Five Disaster-Proof Real Estate Destinations
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.