Every point on the globe is exposed to wind patterns, tectonic plate movements and various degrees of precipitation or lack thereof, but there are some far more favorable than others. Sure, companies such as H-P (HP) claim they can make your business "disaster-proof", but can they move it away from fault lines, tornado alleys, flood plains, hurricane and typhoon regions and drought conditions? Oddly, that doesn't make their list of "disaster-tolerant capabilities."
The U.S. alone has declared 65 major disasters this year, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. That's on pace to break the record of 75 set in 1996 and matched in 2008. With no regard to their location, population density or proximity to bodies of water, deserts, high altitudes and other traits that normally send the risk-averse sprinting for their doomsday shelters, TheStreet has found the five least disaster-prone locations for either a business or your four-bedroom dream home.
5. WYOMING Want to live tax-free, but don't want to deal with hurricanes? Welcome to Wyoming, where individual and corporate taxes are as non-existent as oceans and gulf currents. Residents may wonder how their state can be considered so safe when it was just declared a disaster area in July after a serious bout of flooding. Simple: With only eight major disasters declared since FEMA started keeping tabs back in 1953, the least-populous state (roughly 540,000, or smaller than Tucson, Ariz., alone) in the U.S. takes calamities including floods, tornadoes and winter storms in stride. With all that cash savings and little worry about impending doom, Wyoming newcomers should feel free to splurge on such homes as Sotheby's (BID) $7 million, four-bedroom, seven-acre spread in Jackson Hole with a stone fireplace, infinity-edge outdoor hot tub, heated concrete floors, six-car garage, guesthouse and a 30-foot window wall with a view of the Tetons.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV