Permabears will probably point to last week's volatile stock sell-off as proof of a double-dip recession. They'll also suggest that the market's action is indicative of a major decline ahead.
The problem I have with "get-me-noticed" predictions of devastation is the permanency of the position. For instance, when stocks move higher, permabears explain that it is either a "short-seller squeeze" or a meaningless, low-volume event. (Should this imply that a 2% drubbing in mid-August is a "long-call buyer's squeeze" or a "limited-shares-traded" event?)
In truth, we aren't seeing any new info on the state of the U.S. economy. Retail sales are weak and the trade deficit is sucking the life out of GDP.
The economy will find a way to push through at an anemic rate of growth. After all, the Fed and U.S. government have been determined to keep the country from falling off the proverbial cliff with untargeted stimulus packages, unemployment extensions, handouts to the states and Treasury repurchases.The activity may be saving public-sector jobs and public pensions; it's also saving "Class Warfare Street" at the expense of "Main Street" and "Wall Street." Indeed, a lack of clarity in energy policy, health care legislation and financial regulation have led corporations to sit on their wallets. There is a pervasive uncertainty in the business world that keeps decision-makers from hiring. For the optimists, profits will continue to surprise on the upside, while the pessimists can continue harping on economic weakness. Nevertheless, when it comes to terrible economic data, you can count on these ETFs to get whacked. Here are some of the hardest-hit sector ETFs in Thursday's beat-down, and the approximate amount of the slide:
- iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) -3.4%
- Regional Bank HOLDRs (RKH) -2.8%
- PowerShares WilderHill Progrsv Energy (PUW) -2.8%
- SPDR KBW Insurance (KIE) -2.7%
- iShares Dow Jones U.S. Aerospace & Defense (ITA) -2.4%
- Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) 1.5%
- JPMorgan Alerian MLP Index (AMJ) -0.3%
- Market Vectors Gold Miners (GDX) -0.8%
- iPath DJ-UBS Commodity Index TR (DJP) -0.8%
- First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index (FDN) -0.8%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV