Market players should also keep an eye on breakout stock play Alliance Resource Partners (ARLP), a producer and marketer of coal, primarily to U.S. utilities and industrial users. This company operates nine underground mining complexes in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland and West Virginia.
As I write this, shares of Alliance Resource are surging above some previous overhead resistance at around $53.25 a share. This move marks an official breakout for the stock to new 52-week highs. Investors should now watch to see if the stock can close above $53.50 a share on above average three-month daily volume of around 98,000 shares. A move that demonstrates those strengths could mean that higher prices are in the cards in the near term.
In fact, it could mean Alliance is setting up to test its all-time high of $55.50 a share, which it hit in June 2008. A move above that level would be very bullish for this stock.
Alliance is not just an attractive breakout candidate it's also a great dividend stock play. Shares currently payout $3.24 a share and yield 6.10%, so you could capture some income and potentially more upside in this stock.
More on Alliance Resource
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV