TrustCo had $3.8 billion in total assets as of June 30 and reported second-quarter net income of $7.1 million or 9.3 cents a share, up from $5.4 million or 7 cents a share a year earlier. The company's return on average assets for the second quarter was 0.75% -- still a far cry from the pre-crisis returns of 1.52% in 2006 and 1.20% in 2007, and even 1% in 2008.
While the company's net interest margin improved to 3.51% for the second quarter from 3.24% a year earlier, elevated quarterly provisions for loan losses have continued to drag on earnings. Sterne Agee analyst Mike Shafir has a neutral rating on the shares, saying on July 20 that the shares were fairly valued at 11 times his 2011 earnings estimate.
Trustco has remained profitable through the credit crisis a long-term investor willing to patiently accept the attractive dividend while waiting, could be in for quite a strong return over the long haul. At the end of 2006, 2007 and 2008, shares were trading for more than three times tangible book value and more than 20 times earnings, according to SNL.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV