Editor's note: As part of our partnership with PBS's Nightly Business Report, TheStreet's James Rogers appeared on NBR to discuss tech security companies in the wake of the Intel-McAfee deal. (Watch video)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Intel's (INTC) shock $7.7 billion acquisition of McAfee (MFE) has thrust security stocks into the spotlight and investors scramble to buy up shares of companies that could be tech giants' next big buy.
In particular, ArcSight (ARST), Check Point Software Technologies (CHKP) and Blue Coat Systems (BCSI), while not exactly household names, are looking increasingly attractive to investors, particularly as security stocks start to see major upside in the aftermath of the Intel/McAfee deal.
"If anything, the Intel deal validated that this whole sector is cheap," Todd Weller, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus, told TheStreet. "A year ago, investors retreated away from security because they felt it was too defensive."
Not any more. With potential for M&A and future share growth, investors should be checking out the security sector's hottest companies. Here are the the ones to consider.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV