Editor's note: As part of our partnership with PBS's Nightly Business Report, TheStreet's James Rogers appeared on NBR to discuss tech security companies in the wake of the Intel-McAfee deal. (Watch video)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Intel's (INTC) shock $7.7 billion acquisition of McAfee (MFE) has thrust security stocks into the spotlight and investors scramble to buy up shares of companies that could be tech giants' next big buy.
In particular, ArcSight (ARST), Check Point Software Technologies (CHKP) and Blue Coat Systems (BCSI), while not exactly household names, are looking increasingly attractive to investors, particularly as security stocks start to see major upside in the aftermath of the Intel/McAfee deal.
"If anything, the Intel deal validated that this whole sector is cheap," Todd Weller, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus, told TheStreet. "A year ago, investors retreated away from security because they felt it was too defensive."
Not any more. With potential for M&A and future share growth, investors should be checking out the security sector's hottest companies. Here are the the ones to consider.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV