(Teen retail report card updated with Pacific Sunwear of California and American Eagle Outfitters earnings results.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Teen retailers were in the spotlight this week, as investors looked to second-quarter earnings reports to shed light on the all-important back-to-school season.
The market, however, was disappointed with the sector, as outlooks for the second-half of the year were muted -- with deep discounting across the board and rising sourcing and labor costs expected to weigh on teen retailers' margins for the remainder of the year.
"It is becoming glaringly obvious to us that the short-sighted inventory buying binge and subsequent 'planned' deep discounting of Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) and American Eagle Outfitters (AEO), in the face of one of the most economically affected sectors in the economy, has managed to destroy any potential for even the better-run teen players, who maintained inventory and expense discipline, to register strong results," Brean Murray analyst Eric Beder, wrote in a note.
Retail Growth Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV