The Keefe, Bruyette & Woods bank stock index, which tracks the performance of the 25 largest U.S. banks, ended the week down 2.5%.
The topic of bank consolidation has been hinted at in the sector for several months now as more banks turn back to strategic M&A deals rather than acquisitions of failed banks. Until this week, just a few small traditional M&A deals had been done this year.
|First Niagara CEO John Koelmel|
Early in the week market rumors abounded that M&T Bank (MTB) and Banco Santander (STD) were rekindling acquisition talks. The two banks had been in merger discussions about a possible tie-up earlier in the year, but those talks stalled in the spring. The speculation is that one possible combination could be for M&T Bank to acquire Sovereign Bank, which is owned by Santander. The Spanish bank would then take a minority stake in the newly combined bank. Shares of M&T rose 5.2% this week on the speculation. The stock is up roughly 36% year-to-date. (At press time no official announcement of a deal had been made, but check back at TheStreet Monday morning at 7 a.m. EDT for Maria Woehr's and Laurie Kulikowski's Bank Stock Buzz video on what an M&T/Santander deal would mean for both banks and the industry.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV