In May, Tesla agreed to buy the plant for about $42 million. In a filing Thursday with the SEC, Tesla said it had also agreed to the additional purchase, which will be completed concurrently with the closing of the facility and the land purchase.
To date, Tesla has paid NUMMI an initial deposit of approximately $4.6 million. NUMMI is a joint venture between Toyota (TM) and Motors Liquidation Co. (MTLQQ), which owns select assets of the former General Motors.
Tesla went public in June at $17 a share, raising $226 million. Shares closed Thursday at $18.79. During the second quarter, the automaker lost $38.5 million on revenue of $28.4 million.In late-morning trading Friday, Tesla stock was up 0.32% to $18.85. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV