NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Slowly but surely the insurance industry is consolidating, but don't look for a flurry of activity anytime soon.
However, industry watchers say the potential U.K deal is just the tip of the iceberg for major activity that will also spill into the U.S.
"The consolidation in the insurance industry is being driven by the excess capital insurance companies are holding," Jim Ryan, senior analyst with Morningstar told The Street.Insurers have little opportunity for organic growth into new products or customer segments as a result of the shaky economy and new financial regulations. But with significant amounts of cash on their balance sheets, insurers are debating what is the best option for their shareholders; make a strategic acquisition or do a buyback. Although the industry has seen its fair share of buybacks -- Aetna's ( AET) repurchase of $1 billion of its common stock being one of the most recent -- many companies are also considering acquisitions. The life sector will be most acquisitive, says Nicholas Potter, a partner at the law firm of Debevoise & Plimpton. "There is likely to be consolidation in the life area
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV