Trans World CEO Discusses Q2 2010 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
Comparable store sales in our game category decreased 37%, and represented 5% of our business as compared to 7% last year. The negative comp sales in video games were due to a reduction in the number of stores carrying games. During physical 2009, the company eliminated the game category in over 200 stores. At the end of the second quarter, 135 of our stores carried games compared to 347 a year ago.
Video game comp sales in our 135 stores carrying games going forward were down 21%. Comp store sales for electronics accessory and trend increased 7% on a combined basis, and represented 15% of our business in the quarter as compared to 14% last year.
John will now take you through the financial results for the second quarter. John?
John SullivanThank you Bob, good morning. Our net loss for the quarter was $15.6 million or $0.50 per share. Last year, our net loss was $17.8 million or $0.57 per share. Our gross margin rate for the quarter decreased 180 basis points to 33.7% from 35.5% last year. The decrease in margin rate was due to our pricing strategies, lower vendor allowances, and higher clearance markdowns.SG&A expenses were $57.8 million, a reduction of 20% on the sales decline of 18%, lowering the percent of sales 100 basis points to 42.5% from last year’s 43.5%. EBITDA was a loss of $12 million in the quarter versus $13.3 million last year. Net interest expense was $800,000 in the quarter compared to $700,000 last year.We ended the quarter with cash of $10.5 million and zero borrowings on our line of credit as compared to cash of $7.1 million and borrowings of $28 million. Year over year we have lowered our inventory by $83 million. At quarter end, the inventory position was $237 million versus last year’s $320 million. On a square foot basis, this was $67 a foot versus $72 a foot last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV