TORM A/S Q2 2010 Results
The number of earning days for the Bulk Division was 29% lower in the second quarter of 2010 than in the same period last year due to the sale of vessels.
The dry bulk market stayed at a relatively strong level throughout most of the second quarter of 2010, with Panamax spot rates peaking at around USD/day 37,100 in mid-May. Rates continued to be driven by the Chinese demand for iron ore and coal as well as high port congestion.
However, towards the end of the quarter and at the beginning of the third quarter, rates decreased sharply and did not stabilise until the end of July. By then, Panamax spot rates were down to around USD 16,000/day. The decline in rates was driven by the continued high influx of new vessels, especially in the Capesize segment, in combination with declining Chinese demand for coal and uncertainty surrounding the future Chinese demand for iron ore. Total fleet growth in the dry bulk segment came to about 4% in the second quarter of 2010.
As TORM seeks high coverage of earning days for the Bulk Division, the volatility in bulk spot rates has limited impact on TORM's earnings in 2010.At 30 June, coverage for the remaining part of 2010 was 81% at USD 19,725/day.
|Bulk Division||Q2 09||Q3 09||Q4 09||Q1 10||Q2 10||Change Q2 09 - Q2 10||12 month avg.|
|Panamax (60-80,000 DWT)|
|Available earning days||1,496||1,255||1,204||1,119||1,060||-29%|
|TCE per earning day 1)||13,756||17,968||19,690||18,298||18,611||35%||18,642|
|Operating expenses per operating day 2)||5,106||4,477||4,066||5,187||4,603||-10%||4,583|
|1) TCE = Time Charter Equivalent Earnings = Gross freight income less bunker, commissions and port expenses.|
|2) Operating expenses are related to owned vessels.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV