The Internet HOLDRS (HHH) is rising 1.3%. The ETF has a 3.8% exposure to McAfee. PowerShares Dynamic Networking (PXQ) and iShares S&P North American Technology (IGV) also received buyer attention because of their holding in the stock, which is surging nearly 58% on news of the bid.
Retail ETFs headed lower as the earnings season continues to bring in mixed results and a spike in initial jobless claims intensified growth concerns. The SPDR Retail ETF (XRT) and Retail HOLDRS (RTH) were falling 1.4% and 1.3% respectively.
Broad market selling following weak economic data sent a number of ETFs into the negative territory including solar ETFs and homebuilder ETFs, both of which gained in yesterday's trading session. Weak market sentiment however, sent gold ETFs and treasury ETFs higher. The SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) is rising 0.5%. The iShares Barclays 20+year (TLT) is up 1.8% in Thursday forenoon trading.-- Reported by Shanthi Venkataraman in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV