Makings of Salmonella Egg Scare Began in 2008
(Article on salmonella in eggs updated with details of "disturbing environmental sample results" for Wright County Egg)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A House committee letter to Wright County Egg asking the owner Austin DeCoster to "address questions about disturbing environmental sample results" indicated that the company tested positive for salmonella on multiple occasions between 2008 and 2010 -- years before the recent, nationwide outbreak of illnesses traceable to salmonella-tainted eggs.
The letter said records show that between those years Wright County Egg had received 426 positive results for salmonella, including 73 samples that were potentially positive for the strain of salmonella that has gotten 1,519 people sick.
According to Washington Post, egg producers aren't required to notify the FDA of salmonella detection at their facilities under federal law. However new rules prohibit egg producers who find salmonella at their facilities from selling shell eggs from there until they've tested negative for contamination, according to the report.
In August U.S. health officials told reporters at a news conference that they discovered maggots, manure and rodents at the two Iowa egg companies tied to the recent nationwide salmonella egg scare."These are significant deviations from what should be happening," Michael Taylor, the FDA's deputy commissioner for foods said, according to reports. "There was a failure to manage waste from animals that created a risk for contamination," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV