WASHINGTON ( TheStreet) -- Leaders in the mortgage market gathered in Washington, D.C. yesterday to discuss the future of government-sponsored entities Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner (pictured above) officially said on Tuesday that the Obama administration was preparing to drive the final nail into the coffin of the Fannie-Freddie model of housing finance. However, "reform...is about more than designing an elegant funeral for Fannie and Freddie," he said. "It requires a broader reassessment of how much support the government should provide for housing finance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV