Silver prices settled up 16 cents to $18.59 while copper added 3 cents to $3.33.
Gold mining stocks, an alternative way to buy gold, were mixed. Yamana Gold (AUY) was popping 2.93% to $10.18 while Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold (FCX) rallied 3.84% to $73.34. Other gold stocks Agnico-Eagle (AEM) and Eldorado Gold (EGO) were trading at $62.27 and $18.07, respectively.
-- Written by Alix Steel in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV