One stock that is clearly trading in breakout territory right now is Netflix (NFLX). This company is a subscription service streaming movies and television episodes over the Internet and sending digital versatile discs (DVDs) by mail to more than 12 million subscribers. Netflix has been a big winner during the economic downturn as consumers flocked to their website to sign up for affordable and convenient entertainment. The stock has racked up some impressive performance with shares up 146% year to date.
Those unbelievable gains could just be getting starting with shares of Netflix now trading at new all-time highs and clearly in breakout territory. What I like even more about the breakout in Netflix is that it's occurring on very heavy volume.
From Aug. 10 to Aug. 12, Netflix managed to trade above some previous overhead resistance at around $128 a share on above average volume. Volume during this three-day period clocked in at over 10 million shares traded versus the 3-month average daily volume of 4.1 million.Another reason this stock just continues to scream higher is due to the very large short interest in the name. As of July 30, 24% of float was sold short, and that float is very small at only 45 million shares available for trading. The shorts in this name can't be happy with the 20% move the stock registered last week in the face of overall market weakness. That strong counter-trend rally shows just how much market players want to own this name right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV