How to Trade: The Hindenburg Omen Stock Market Crash
(Article updated with information on market reaching a second Hindenburg Omen on Aug. 19.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If it feels as though you can't pull the trigger on a trade today without first consulting the Hindenburg Omen, you are not alone -- and TheStreet has help for you to avoid the stock market crash that, at this point, it may seem like the Hindenburg Omen all but guarantees.
The Hindenburg Omen is a somewhat obscure technical indicator that has suddenly become a market blog sensation. Last weekend, unlike the doomed German airship which crashed and burned (before providing a name for the bearish market signal) the Hindenburg Omen soared to become one of the most popular Google search terms. It's possible that only Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke has more power to move the markets right now.
Now, according to Sentimentrader.com we had a second Hindenburg Omen trigger yesterday. Some technicians regard this as confirmation of the first reading and, therefore, a much more dire situation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV