NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With the August 15 deadline having passed for banks to get existing customers to opt-in for continued overdraft protection on ATM and debit card transactions, the big question for investors is which banks have the most at stake?
TheStreet has compiled a list of the ten large banks that derived the highest percentage of second-quarter operating revenue from service charges on deposit accounts.
The list is based on data from the Consolidated Financial Statements for Bank Holding Companies (FR Y-9C) filed with the Federal Reserve System, as provided by SNL Financial for bank holding companies with at least $10 billion in total assets.
Unfortunately, the bank holding company statements don't break-out the ATM and debit card overdraft fees from other deposit service fees, but the numbers for the banks deriving the greatest part of total revenue from service charges on deposit accounts are strikingly high when compared with those just a bit lower on the list. The Federal Reserve data allows for a uniform comparison.Here are the ten U.S. bank holding companies with the highest percentages of operating revenue coming from service charges on domestic deposit accounts during the second quarter:
Changing Times for TCF FinancialThe domestic bank holding company with service charges on deposit accounts comprising, by far, the greatest portion of operating revenue during the second quarter was TCF Financial (TCB) of Wayzata, Minn. Over 25% of the company's operating revenue came from deposit service charges, although neither the company's Federal Reserve filing nor its 10-Q filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission broke-out the actual ATM or debit card overdraft fees from this figure.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV