BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Investors worried about a double-dip recession have flooded into safe-haven fixed-income securities this year. Still, the most attractive yields are in equities. Here are five stocks, representing different industries, that pay dividends significantly higher than the coupons offered by the 30-year Treasury bond. They are ordered by dividend yield, from high to highest. Each description is followed by three similar securities with fat dividends.
5. Pepco Holdings (POM) sells electricity.
Quarter: Pepco swung to a second-quarter loss of $54 million, but a per share profit of $34 cents, from net income of $25 million, or 18 cents a share, a year earlier. The operating margin extended to 12% from 8.6%. Pepco holds $43 million of cash and $6.1 billion of debt, equaling a debt-to-equity ratio of 1.4.
Stock: Pepco has advanced 24% in the past 12 months. It trades at a forward earnings multiple of 14, a 10% premium to the industry average. Its cash flow multiple of 3.5 and book value multiple of 0.9 signify 36% and 42% discounts to peer averages. The stock pays a 6.2% yield with a payout ratio of 89%.Consensus: Of analysts covering Pepco, four, or 40%, advise buying its shares and six recommend holding them. None say to sell. A median target of $17.58 suggests that the stock is just below fair value. SunTrust (STI) offers a target of $18, implying a 3% gain. Wunderlich Securities predicts a drop to $17. Other high-yield utility stocks: UIL Holdings (UIL), dividend yield: 6.4% Unitil (UTL), dividend yield: 6.5% Empire District Electric (EDE), dividend yield: 6.5%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV