Gold prices have climbed 5.5% year to date, with many analysts predicting continued strength throughout the rest of the year on inflation worries and lose money policies from central banks.
Many predict gold prices can rise to their inflation-adjusted price of $2,300 within a few years.
"We look at 2011 seeing $1,500 gold," said Jeff Pontius, chief executive officer of International Tower Hill (THM) although Pontius believes that prices could reach as high as $2,000 an ounce in the longer term as the U.S. dollar continues to lose ground.Mark Bristow, chief executive officer of Randgold Resources (GOLD), is betting on a price target of $1,500. Chuck Jeannes, CEO of Goldcorp (GG), said reaching $1,500 an ounce is "easily achievable." Jeannes said it's important to consider highs adjusted for inflation, which could push the price as high as $2,300. Despite volatility, the trend points to long term four-digit prices. The gold price has recently resumed its tight inverse correlation to the U.S. dollar, which Standard and Poor's estimates is 32% of the time, and it's this factor coupled with negative real interest rates that should push gold prices higher. Regardless of gold's price, most portfolio managers recommend that an investor have 3% to 10% in gold. For most, investing in gold isn't a quick trade, but insurance. Here are the top four ways you can invest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV