In a statement released before market open, IBM said that the Unica deal will support its recent acquisition of Coremetrics and Sterling Commerce, AT&T's (T ) business software division.
"This expanding portfolio, combined with IBM's WebSphere Commerce software, aims to help companies automate, manage, and accelerate core business processes," it said. This encompasses areas such as marketing, demand generation, sales, order processing and fulfillment, added the tech giant.IBM has proved adept at squeezing profit out of high-margin areas such as software, helping the firm side-step the worst of the recession. IBM recently stated it would spend $20 billion on acquisitions over the next five years, with software companies as the main focus of its M&A effort. IBM shares were down 3 cents, or 0.02%, to $128.27 in pre-market trading. -- Reported by James Rogers in New York Follow James Rogers on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV